Wednesday 13 March 2019

Whipping Boy Whipping Boy


Whipping Boy Whipping Boy

Get It At Discogs
Posthumous albums are bittersweet. After a decade, Dublin's finest band called it a day in 1999, a year after recording this third LP. Dumped by Columbia despite rave reviews for 1995's phenomenal Heartworm, a Top 40 U.K. hit in "We Don't Need Nobody Else," and a reputation as a fearsome live group, Whipping Boy were unable to secure a new deal and capitulated. Damn it. Whipping Boy finds the quartet evolving exquisitely, adopting fresh touches such as washes of sonorous strings and sparkling piano, and composing some downright beautiful, tickling, ballad-tempo songs. And yet they remain all post-dream pop tension, a mix of Velvet Underground, My Bloody Valentine, and 1992 R.E.M. They're gentle and lulling, then distorted, bruising, and lascivious in turns. Fearghal McKee is the thick-voiced singer everyone should hear, equal measures sinister, sardonic, soothing, sympathetic, and sexy. His lyrics are little observations on other people's lives so succinct and colorful, they're like mini-movies. Best of all, every song is great. The pretty-pop prizes such as the opening, sweet "So Much for Love," "Who Am I?," and "Ghost of Elvis" are so playful and amiable, you almost forget the thunderclaps of dense, stun-guitar anxiety elsewhere. And even the harsh stuff is offset by something lovely like "Pat the Almighty"'s background harpsichord plinking amongst the chaos. Likewise, the closing "No Place to Go" is a small epic of feeling, with beauty and the beast in one song. In the end, it's hard to find a flaw with this fantastic, meticulously put together record.

5 comments:

Pubbi said...

Hi, excellent blog with a lot of sounds that I always liked to hear before the Garage-Revival overwhelmed me in the 80s and I got addicted to this variety of Rock'N'Roll.
Nonetheless, I'm looking for this album here by Whipping Boy. I know their first two albums and they have not really much to do with garage sounds, but there are a lot of great and strong songs that stuck in my head.
As for their third album, I haven't had a chance to listen yet and I would like to change this.
Could you please reupload this one once again, I would appreciate it very much.
Thanks!! Pubbi

PS: I also run a music blog and if you are interested - take a look at my profile, you'll find it there.

Aid00 said...

Hello Pubbi Here's Whipping Boy Albums https://textuploader.com/1cwbl

And Your On My Blog List

Pubbi said...

Hi Aid,
Big, Big THANKS for reupping "Whipping Boy", glorious sounds I'm enjoying right now.
Best wishes for you ...and the Reds. 2 wins out of 9 games should be feasible and the first championship after 30 years is theirs/yours (if the season is played to the end). I'm sure the guys around Jürgen Klopp will do it.
Very nice that you put a hint for "Fuzz, Farfisa..." on all your blogs, of course I also did this in reverse. All your three blogs can now be found in my favourite blog list. Great stuff I've seen there, maybe I contact you once again as some of the links were already down... have to check what I really need.
Cheers!!
Pubbi

AJS said...

Hi Aid. Could you reupload the Whipping Boy albums, please.

Aid00 said...

Hello AJS New Whipping Boy Links Up & Running

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...